Do you dream of owning a private island?
Elizabeth Arey at
email@example.com or 858-204-1238 mobile
LOCATION: 44º 03.3' north, 68º
If so, welcome to this rare, exclusive 5-acre property just off the coast of Maine. Greer Island lies just 2/10th's of a mile off the eastern shore of Vinalhaven, summer resort for artists, writers, musicians, educators, film celebrities and industry moguls.
Ready to build?
Owner holds building and dock/float permits for a small home to be nestled in a crescent of spruce and balsam with 360-degree ocean views. Greer Island is located off Arey's Neck, off the southeastern shore of Vinalhaven.
Awaiting new owner
- An existing 12x15 grandfathered studio/building at the water's edge surrounded by wild roses and seagrass.
- Deep water anchorage and protected cove.
- A building permit and approved site for a 34' x 18' home with future expansion.
- A permit and design for a septic system.
- Soil tests and septic design available, showing unusual depths of rich topsoil.
- Gentle slopes and excellent elevations to 28 ft.
- FEMA certification that island is not in 100 yr Flood Plain.
- A current land survey and report.
- No conservation easements or restrictions encumber deed.
- Owned by one family for more than a century.
- MDIFW certification that island is not a Significant Wildlife Habitat and does not meet criteria to be in Resource Protection Zone.
- Pads/foundation footings now in place with platform under construction.
- Permit for a ramp and float have been issued.
- Maine DEP approval for development.
- Direct cell phone service insures access to the world.
- Sweeping views to Saddleback Light, Isle au Haut, and Camden Hills.
- Neighbors on nearby Sheep Island with home and guest house.
Less than 3 miles to Town, Island access is convenient from Carver's Harbor or from State Beach Road and Town Park.
To Be Developed
- A cistern or small desalinization plant to provide infinite water
- Solar panels for heat, electricity and power
- New high tech Wave Action hydro-electric for power
Invest NOW for the Future
- Medical Center, Historical Museum, Art Galleries, Gift Shops, Toy Shop, Gourmet Supermarket, US Post Office, Viking Lumber Company, Hardware Store
- Harborside Motel
- Two Churches
- Bed and Breakfasts, Restaurants
- Maine State Ferry Service (6 trips daily carrying cars, freight and passengers between Rockland and Vinalhaven)
- Air Strip (served by Penobscot Air from Owl's Head, Rockland)
- Three Scenic Quarries for swimming
- Free wireless Internet Access at Library
- Canoeing, Kayaking and Sailing on Carver's Pond and The Basin
- Vinalhaven attracts residents who commute year-round from from Darien, Newport, La Jolla, Walnut Creek, San Francisco, New Orleans, LA, Savannah, Nashville, Chicago, Washington, DC, Charlottesville, Boston, Dallas, Austin, Scarsdale, Manhattan, Oklahoma and Ohio, to summer homes on Vinalhaven.
- Out-of-state residents own 77 per cent of Vinalhaven real estate.
- A two-minute boat-taxi from Vinalhaven takes you to nearby North Haven where there is a 9-hole golf course, community theater/arts center, tennis and sailing clubs, shops and restaurants.
Articles about owning your own private Maine island
- Take advantage of a rare opportunity to invest in this unique property in a down market.
- Brokerages agree island values will continue to rise because of diminishing waterfront inventory.
- Coastal Maine properties have risen in value on average 20 per cent annually in the last decade.